The tank has been sandblasted, coated inside and primed.
March 14th 2014:
Gas tank installed (see bottom of page)
The installation of the gas tank confronted us with major problems, as the fit was very bad. We suppose the cowl is deformed due to the mentioned accident and was under severe stress. This stress was released as the original screws were removed respectively drilled out. The tank did then not fit properly: To be able to apply the screws to the firewall we had to pull out the firewall top with major force, using a tension belt.
Here the detailed procedure:
1. Anti-squeeze material: holes punch and secure with a doube sided sticky tape.
2. Cut cornes and lenght of cowl welt, mark and punch holes.
3. Attach the tank filler piece with screws, arrange cowl welt.
4. Place tank in the cowl, arrange cowl welt properly (we did not staple cloth to the welt, but did work quite well).
5. Screw the tank to the dash rail. By the way, the repro srews did not fit, diameter to large!
6. Pull out firewall with tension belt (attached using two holes, which were afterwards welded).
7. Screw in tank to firewall screws.